SUT - Careers
Cyber Special Agent
FBI Cyber Special Agents combat global cyber threats, partner with international law enforcement, and protect the nation's critical cyber infrastructure.
Cyber Special Agents Minimum Requirements:
- Be between the ages of 23 and 36
- Bachelor's degree from a U.S accredited college/university
- One (1) year of full-time work experience in one or more of the area(s) listed below**
- Be available for assignment anywhere in the FBI's jurisdiction
- Be in excellent physical condition with the ability to pass a rigorous physical fitness test
- All other Special Agent requirements still apply
**Only applicants who possess a degree and/or at least one year of work experience in one of the following disciplines will be eligible to apply to the "Cyber Only" Special Agent posting.
Preferred degrees and experiences include: Computer Science, Computer Forensics, Cyber Investigations, Information Assurance, Information Technology, Ethical Hacking, Cyber Security, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, and/or Network Administration.
The Special Agent application for Cyber backgrounds only is now closed.
Cyber Intelligence Analyst
Cyber Intelligence Analyst develops global insight into emerging cyber threats through an analytical, proactive, and product-driven environment.
Cyber IA's Preferred Experience:
- Similar degrees and/or experience as noted for all Cyber positions with a heavy emphasis on analytical skills as well as oral and written communications.
More info on Intelligence Analyst qualifications and requirements.
Apply to Cyber Intelligence Analyst - GS 7/9 (External)
Apply to Cyber Intelligence Analyst - GS 7/9 (Internal - FBI Employees Only)
Acts as the technical expert on all investigations, works in a high-speed, dynamic, and sophisticated environment, and utilizes cutting edge technology.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
- or any degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. Fifteen of those hours must include differential and integral calculus.
Apply to Computer Scientist - GS 13 (External)
Apply to Computer Scientist - GS 13 (Internal - FBI Employees Only)
Apply to Computer Scientist - GS 11/12 (External)
Apply to Computer Scientist - GS 11/12 (Internal - FBI Employees Only)
Apply to Computer Scientist - GS 7/9 (External)
Apply to Computer Scientist - GS 7/9 (Internal - FBI Employees Only)
Information Technology Forensic Examiner (ITFE)
Is a subject matter expert on digital evidence that works as an integral member of the investigative team responsible for digital evidence analysis and crime scene searches.
- Bachelor's degree with at least 20 hours in one or more of the disciplines related to computers (see detailed information on the vacancy announcement).
Apply to IT Specialist (FE) - GS 11/12 (External)
Apply to IT Specialist (FE) - GS 11/12 (Internal - FBI Employees Only)
Apply to IT Specialist (FE) - GS 7/9 (External)
Apply to IT Specialist (FE) - GS 7/9 (Internal - FBI Employees Only)
A great first step to a cyber career with the FBI. Receive on-the-job training and exposure to national and international cyber investigations.
- Enrolled full-time in an accredited school or university
- Currently a college junior, senior or graduate student at the time of hire (A participant cannot be graduating before the program begins)
- 3.0 GPA
Preferred Degrees: Computer Forensics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Security, Information Security, Information Systems, Information Technology, Information Science, Information Assurance, Network Administration, & Software Engineering.
FBI CYBER BACKGROUNDS CHART
Preferred Degrees and Work Experience
Applied & Computational Mathematics
Computer & Digital Forensics
Computer and Information Security
Computer Forensics and/or Digital Investigations
Computer Information Systems
Computer Information Technology Education
Computer, Electrical, or Software Engineering
Digital Investigations Management
Information Assurance and Security
Information Technology Management
Management Information Systems
Network and Telecommunications Management
Preferred Work Experiences:
Computer Network Design
Computer or Network Penetration Testing
Computer Software Development
Internetworking Technologies (Routers/
Network Security Auditing
Network Traffic Analysis
Operating Systems Enterprise Administration
Working with SCADA/ICS Systems
Non-introductory teaching of the aforementioned at the college level or industry